New users please introduce yourself

Intro

Intro

Postby Oggy » Wed Feb 20, 2013 9:19 pm

Evening All
My name is Keith, 48 & live in Altrincham in Cheshire.

Got back on 2 wheels back in 5 years ago and passed my test and ever since have fallen in love with everything about biking, so much so i have had in the past 5 years Honda CBF125, CBF600, CBF1000, Triumph Tiger 1050 & am now on an Explorer which is just the best thing since sliced bread even though i have been knocked off twice :evil: both not my fault i may add :D .

Since i passed my test i have passed my Ride Safe Back Safe & IAM which i took with SCAM (South Cheshire Advanced Motorists) & am now looking at the ROSPA course with a view to get into a training career. Came accross this board and thought i would give it a shot.

Would love to hear from anyone who has taken this leap into being a trainer to pass on any pointers & advice.

Keep safe

Oggy
Oggy

Re: Intro

Postby Paul » Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:18 pm

Hi Oggy and welcome o the forum 8-)

I guess the answer to your question is dependant on wether you want to earn money from training, or just want to do some volunteer work helping others improve as the IAM group did with you.

Covering the easiest first, if it's volunteering you want to do, then the first step would be to join your local IAM/RoSPA group and get on their observer/tutor training programme. If ROSPA then you will need to pass their advanced test at Gold standard first. This training will not result in a formally recognised qualification and whilst there is currently nothing to stop you charging riders for your advice, it would be frowned upon by the DSA and both the volunteer and professional side of the instructing world. Once you have completed the group's training, the group will allow you to advise their new members as they prepare for their test.

The professional route is, naturally, more complex and requires a higher standard of both riding and instructing. The first question to answer is whether you want to train new riders (L plates to test). If so, you will need to train as an instructor (for example by taking RJH's instructor training course) and pass the DSA instructor assessments at Cardington. This will allow you to teach both CBT and Direct Access (DAS), and earn money working for a rider training school. If you want to teach post-test riders professionally, then you should be looking to join the Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainers (RPMT). It's not necessary to be a CBT/DAS instructor to get on the RPMT. To get on this you need to either take the DSA's assessment which covers riding and instructing practice and theory, or take an accredited training course/qualification such as the RoSPA Diploma in Advanced Riding Instruction and the DSA's theory test. I went down this latter route and would be happy to share my experiences if you want to know more.

So, it's horses for courses. If you want to become as qualified as possible, then go down the professional route, but be warned, it is certainly challenging, and even when you are fully qualified, it won't make you rich!
Life is a journey, not a destination, relax and enjoy the ride!

http://www.justonemoremile.com
Paul

Postby Rob1965 » Thu Feb 21, 2013 5:44 pm

Hi Keith,
Welcome to the forum.
I can only second Paul's view, likewise if you want to chat/meet always available with a brew.

A collection of different rides there, which is your favourite then?

Speak soon

Robert
Rjh for the No 1 in CBT, DAS, ERS and ADVANCED in Salford Manchester, and Leigh Lancashire http://www.rjhgroup.co.uk
Rob1965

Postby Oggy » Thu Feb 21, 2013 9:03 pm

Evening Gents

Many thanks for your input, i knew that it involved lots of training but that much, hells bells :o Gonna have a think about this as i am now at the age where i am thinking about retiring at 55-60 so to go through all this training (Yes i was thinnking of making it a job) I think i may have taken this step a little too late.

I must admit, i was considering the ROSPA course even if its just to get that more experiance behind me.

Do you guys ever go for ride outs? If so wouldnt mind hooking up sometime

Keith
Oggy

Postby Admin » Tue Feb 26, 2013 5:41 pm

Hi Keith welcome to the forum.
Send me a pm if you need any help posting pictures or videos.

Come and meet the guys if you can at the 10 Year Anniversary on the 16th & 17th March at
LANGLEY BUSINESS CENTRE
LANGLEY ROAD
SALFORD
M6 6JP
Admin
Site Admin

Return to Welcome - Introduce Yourself