What do i need to get started

How young can you become an instructer

How young can you become an instructer

Postby AlexWilson » Mon Aug 13, 2012 10:47 am

Hello - i'm only 19.5 at the moment but would maybe like to teach other people how to ride for a career.

How soon would i be able to qualify to do this?
Im a bit confused with all the steps needed.

If its only 21 then that would be great / if i have to will till say 25, then i would have to have a rethink.

Hopefully someone can give me some guidance.
CHEERS.
Alex.
AlexWilson

Re: How young can you become an instructer

Postby Paul » Mon Aug 13, 2012 5:53 pm

Hi Alex,

It's the best job in the world (with the possible exception of motorcycle tour guide!). 8-)

But you need to :

• be aged 21 or over
• hold a current full GB or NI driving licence
• have held full motorcycle entitlement for at least three years. this does not include automatic or category A1 licences
• be considered a ‘fit and proper’ person

You don't mention whether you have passed your full bike test yet, and if not, life is about to get more complicated due to the introduction of the 3rd EU licence directive in January. See the legal requirements thread for more info, but basically if you pass your test before Jan you will be restricted to 33bhp for 2 years. As I understand it these 2 years will count towards the 3 you need a full motorcycle entitlement, but it's worth checking with the DSA. if you don't pass your test before Jan, you will need to take the A2 test, then upgrade to a full A licence after 2 years, then wait another 3 before trying to qualify as an instructor!

So, youngest would be 22 (passed test at 19 prior to Jan 2013 plus 3 years assuming first 2 restricted count), or 24 from Jan (passed A2 test at 19, then full A test 2 years later, then 3 years waiting).

It's why so many of us are old gits! :lol:
Life is a journey, not a destination, relax and enjoy the ride!

http://www.justonemoremile.com
Paul

Postby AlexWilson » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:21 am

Hi, thanks Paul.
That makes it all a lot clearer for me.
Im a bit disappointed but not too surprised really.
I think i will come and do my cbt anyway and take it from there.
I suppose at least if i get started then i will still be relatively young when im able to do it
Will book in as soon as i get some spare cash.

Thanks for explaining all this for me / i just may have to do a REAL job for the next few years - LOL
AlexWilson

Postby Vantage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 3:56 pm

Hi,

Sorry to bump old thread, but this is the only place on the web I can find any reference to my question.

" 3 years assuming first 2 restricted count"

Does anyone know if the two years restricted to 33bhp count or not?

Looking at doing a RPMT course at some point this year, but would be a bit pointless if I can't get on the register.

Thanks

Mel
Vantage

Postby Rob1965 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 4:55 pm

Hi Mel,
The 33bhp for 2 years does count towards the 3 years as although its restricted it is a full license entitlement. Providing you are over 21 you should be fine.

What is your goal ?
Rjh for the No 1 in CBT, DAS, ERS and ADVANCED in Salford Manchester, and Leigh Lancashire http://www.rjhgroup.co.uk
Rob1965

Postby Vantage » Sun Feb 17, 2013 5:53 pm

Hi Rob,

Thanks for your reply, the other thing I've just thought, if you update your driving license don't the DVLA change the test pass date on your license to years after you actually passed your test? I think there was something in MCN about this, with people suddenly finding they couldn't prove to their insurance companies they'd been riding three years instead of one.

Goal is just personal development really, I am an ADI, and thought I'd look at trying some biking as well :)

Mel
Vantage

Postby Rob1965 » Sun Feb 17, 2013 11:04 pm

Hi Mel,
You only need to update your license if you passed your test on the restricted option at the time of passing your test. All the necessary changes will occur at this point ie: the cat A will go from the provisional to the full category's on your card part of license. On the reverse will be the date passed and the restriction of 33bhp or 25kw and after 2 years you don't need to change this, just leave it alone.
We would always recommend if your sending your license of to the DVLA for updates or changes always photo copy all sides as they appear to have a habit of losing stuff...

I'm also an ADI but much prefer bikes :=)
Rjh for the No 1 in CBT, DAS, ERS and ADVANCED in Salford Manchester, and Leigh Lancashire http://www.rjhgroup.co.uk
Rob1965

Postby Paul » Mon Feb 18, 2013 1:41 pm

Hi Mel,

I note our question relates to the RPMT, which is the Register of Post-test Motorcycle Trainers. The RPMT is open to anyone who is over 21 and has held a full category A motorycle licence for 3 years. The RPMT is not a register of motorcycle instructors who are approved to teach learner motorcyclists, so it is not the equivalent of an ADI.

The 3 year qualifying period is a full category A licence, and as I understand how the DSA interprets this, it excludes the 2 years 'restricted licence' that relates to the 33bhp restriction.

Note also that if you haven't already passed your practical motorcycle test, then the new licence rules tha came into effect on 19th January 2013 means there is no longer a 'restricted licence', so the 33bhp restriction will not apply to anyone taking a test now. The new categories are explained elsewhere on this forum, but basically to be a DSA approved instructor or to go on the RPMT you need to have held a category A licence for 3 years, so you must be at least 27 (if you went the direct access route at age 24) or 24 (if you passed your A2 licence at 19 and then your full A licence after the qualifying 2 year period when you would have been 21).

Have you already passed your motorcycle test?

Paul

Postby Vantage » Mon Feb 18, 2013 7:40 pm

Thanks, yes I was looking at the RPMT as I didn't intend teaching learners, although I realise its only a voluntary register, I don't forsee it as any kind of big money spinner, more for CPD really.

Sadly the age limitations don't apply in my case :)

I have an unrestricted license for nearly 12 months, plus 2 years before that on 33bhp hence the query.

Cheers
Vantage

Postby Paul » Tue Feb 19, 2013 9:54 am

Hi Mel,

If its CPD you are after, have you considered some advanced training? I'm a qualified RoSPA Advanced Instructor and would be happy to discuss options. Send me a PM with your contact details if you're interested.

Paul

Paul

Next

Return to Legal Requirements