What do i need to get started

3DLD, The third European Directive

3DLD, The third European Directive

Postby Rob1965 » Mon Sep 03, 2012 11:42 pm

3DLD, The third European Directive on licensing is due to impact in January 2013.
These changes will be almost as dramatic as 2DLD which saw the new Mod 1 test, come in, out and shake it all about!
The off road Mod 1 test is staying for the foreseeable future, but the current government are adamant it wants a single on road test. Don't hold your breath though, as it is our own elected government and not European law, so it probably wont happen. The European bit definitely is happening!
So what does 3DLD mean for you? Basically if you are aged 21 to 23 or reaching 21 this year get your licence thru the DAS scheme now!
From Jan 2013 to do direct Access to a full licence you will have to wait until you are 24. Also if you ever reach 24 the bikes will be larger and more powerful than the current crop of 500cc DAS bikes. (they are increasing to 600cc+ probably 650cc and more difficult to ride than the current softer machines)
If you are planning on getting a licence as a 17 to 20 year old on a 125cc bike, the A2 licence get it now!
From Jan 2013 a tiered system will begin (although no one actually understands it) where you may need to take your test on a 125cc at 17, wait 2 years, take one at 19 on a 400cc, wait 2000 years and then another at 21 on a 600cc+!
It has just been announced that they are changing things again and all the capacity and power outputs of bikes you can test on will change twice next year. Once in Jan and then again at the end of the year. Just another Euro nugget to complicate things further!
We have heard although no official announcement yet that it will be a test by the DSA at each stage. So it is going to be very complex and very costly. Don't wait for the magic roundabout to commence, I hear every day "I wish I had done it years ago", we have done our bit, you have been warned!
Rjh for the No 1 in CBT, DAS, ERS and ADVANCED in Salford Manchester, and Leigh Lancashire http://www.rjhgroup.co.uk
Rob1965

Re: 3DLD, The third European Directive

Postby Rob1965 » Wed Dec 12, 2012 4:42 pm

Its coming shortly, January 19th...We still have Module 1 and Module 2 tests available so can still get you through before January 19th. Direct Access and Standard Motorbike Training in Manchester

Rjh for the No 1 in CBT, DAS, ERS and ADVANCED in Salford Manchester, and Leigh Lancashire http://www.rjhgroup.co.uk
Rob1965

Return to Legal Requirements